View Single Post
Old 01-08-11, 12:44 AM   #42
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: nVidia Press Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox View Post
I see the future of the market in exactly the opposite way.

AMD and Intel basically have a 2 company monopoly on PC CPUs. Nvidia wants in badly but from what I understand even if they did purchase a company (if I remember correctly there were rumors of purchasing VIA awhile back) that can legally produce x86 processors the purchase of said company would negate that license to create x86 CPUs. It's a very anti-competitive market in many aspects.

Introduce ARM processors. While an ARM processor alone can't currently compete with an x86 CPU, if a company where to figure out how to harness the power of a GP-GPU in conjunction with an ARM processor now you're talking about a smaller computer with a smaller foot print and an enormous amount of processing power.

AMD didn't purchase ATI because they wanted into the video card market. They wanted the GP-GPU technology.

This would give us a whole new set of options. It may also give us a whole new view on what brute force hacking is as well.....
I think you're right, but consider this. High-end CPU's still only have transistor counts around 700-million. High-end GPU's are now nearing 3 billion transistors. High end GPU's also use more power than CPU's.

There's no doubt that GPU's are more efficient, but I think once they start merging (ala Fusion) we're going to see that small improvement in efficiency disappear. Now the market is going to start moving towards highly parallel code. Therefore, the market in CPU's is going to start to shift towards a lot of less powerful cores as opposed to a few very powerful cores in current CPUs.

And what has a lot of less powerful cores?... a GPU.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU