View Single Post
Old 01-21-11, 04:45 PM   #32
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: GTX570 or Ati 6950 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
A handful of links on Google with some saying they over volted the card makes it common? Of the thousands (tens of thousands?) who have purchased these cards?

I'm a moderator on NZone, although I rarely moderate these days. When I was active there, I'd have guys tell me "This issue is HUGE! There are 20 guys in this thread who have it! There are some guys on other boards who have it!". Meanwhile, NVIDIA would tell me they'd sold 8,000 of those GPUs so far.

The other things is people would actually create multiple accounts on NZone and on other forums to "report the issue". Remember the big "bad batch of 8800GTs, as told by their reps" scare?

I did IP resolves on a guy whose writing style seemed similar to many others reporting the issue and found he had created over 10 accounts on Nzone to "confirm" the issue he reported. Then I Googled it, found he had done the same sort of thing on several other forums, pointed it out to their forum admins, and got him banned on those sites as well. Before doing any of this I talked to the people at the companies involved and verified the RMAs were in line with other launches and that their reps were not warning people about this issue.

There could be some 570s that have noisey caps in some conditions, maybe even mine and I just don't hear it over their fans and my case fans.

My point is there are people in the world who are really short on what I'd call "a life" and make it their hobby to try and defame/slander NVIDIA, and the anecdotal evidence and "big samples" you see on the internet forums include them in total. (sometimes many times)
Why don't you go ahead and IP resolve me

I have spoken with a couple of different techs over at EVGA while trying to fix this issue and I have spent a fair amount of additional money ensuring that all other items in my setup were resolved, including clean power delivery to my system. The tech himself said he has heard of multiple issues with different cards with coil whine and went through the standard steps to trouble-shoot with me.

At this point I am probably just going to go ahead and step-up to the 580 SC as I haven't heard many horror stories there, but MY point is, this is not a basic issue. It is a little more than that. Considering that 2 separate cards have exhibited the exact same issue in my system and the exact same whine can be heard in videos and sound clips online from many users, I would say it is far from anecdotal evidence.

BTW, the 8800 failure-rate was indeed high. Go ask any OEM's who were working on resolving returns. Also check with them about Nvidia IGP's (look up baking cards).

I love the PERFORMANCE of the card and I do enjoy Physx and other items. It is definitely superior to most other cards on the market and great value, but please don't insult my intelligence by insinuating that I don't have a "life" and I am making stuff up, like the others you accuse (guilty by association).

Fwiw, the noise only occurs under load (which is why most people would not hear it, as they are gaming or whatever), and it is not very loud but, it is incredibly high-pitched and annoying as hell.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote