View Single Post
Old 01-23-11, 03:12 AM   #7
Glajvect

Default Re: 260.19.12 black screen on GTX 465, Ubuntu 10.04 64

260.19.36: Sweet! I can't believe it! Amazing!

Ah, hell -- I can't lie to you guys. *Still* no luck with this driver, either. In the time since my last report, I've upgraded to the back-ported Natty kernel, 2.6.37-12, but this seems to make no difference in my ability to use 260.19.29 or .36.

This card works great in Windows. The built-in temperature-based fan speed could use some better calibration (gets too hot, e.g. Mafia 2), but that's nothing that can't be fixed with software fan control. After hours of Windows gaming, I'm quite sure that it's not defective. Don't let me discourage you from suggesting other ways of verifying this if you think it might still be an issue.

Can someone (NVidia perhaps?!) please do one of the following for me:
- Tell me how to grab the stack trace that I expect would come after the "Backtrace:" line in Xorg.0.log. With that, I expect that I can help you easily figure out where things are coming unraveled
- Offer up some other ideas as to kernel settings, Xorg.conf settings, etc. that might serve to at *least* get me into the X login without locking up my machine at the local terminal (really sucks having to reboot via SSH between all the testing I've had to do to figure out what could be wrong)
- Point out the phenomenally bone-headed mistake I'm making in how my system is set up (e.g. kernel or Xorg version is completely unreasonable, possible bad BIOS settings to avoid using with this motherboard's chipset and the GTX 465), how the drivers are installed, or my testing procedure. Other common pitfalls that might result in this misbehavior are welcome. Let's leave no stone unturned!

I'm stuck in low-res VESA land and it sucks. I use this machine day-to-day for software development, and I miss the hell out of the screen real-estate I had with my previous PC. I'd also love to make use of my second monitor, but it seems that's totally out of the question. I haven't a care about 3D acceleration in Linux (but Compiz is nice at times...) so long as it works in Windows as I do all of my gaming there anyway. "But Glajvect, just use another open-source driver", you might offer. Well, Nouveau is also not a good solution at this time since their support matrix shows that they are currently implementing support for the Fermi cards. Who knows how long that will be in the works! Whatever the true status is, I've been there, done that, and I didn't have any luck getting that driver working. Thing is, I can't be annoyed at that team since they certainly don't have any sort of advantage in completing their task over the people who made the card!

The only other option I see is to buy a new (but older) card. I'd really prefer to avoid doing that as I spent enough as it is on this one. There's no real guarantee it would work, either. All the other old cards I have sitting around are -- naturally -- AGP. Been a while since the last upgrade...

So where do I go from here?
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (113.9 KB, 60 views)
Glajvect is offline   Reply With Quote