View Single Post
Old 01-25-11, 06:21 PM   #16
xps8700

Default Re: GT430 On Linux (Slackware64 13.1) not recognized by ALSA

hey savo! thanks for your feedback

talking about sound in KDE, I really dont know why, after the modifications with the mask probe I did last time, I am randomly getting kde to output sound thru hdmi... last time I wrote here on this thread, the sound did not work. Now, as I am writing this message, it works. I guess it is intermittent... probably some settings not correct. TO be honest, I have no clue of what I am doing. Alsa and sound in linux seems pretty complicated.

Quote:
To get sound in KDE go to system settings and then multimedia and on the phonon tab there is the option to set the preferred card.
Yeah when I opened this window, kde tasked me what I want to do with devices that were apparently no longer available. The list was extensive with many "cards" I previously had working. THis includes all ATI based cards (on the mobo).

attached is a screenshot of the kde applet. Look at it and tell me what you think.

I also opened kmix and noticed everything is gone... except one IEC958 device under theHDA NVIDIA... I remember to have seen at least 4 IEC devices there last time...

What does the asoundrc file really do?

My ultimate goal is to have the Hdmi sound from my gt430 videocard working perfectly until I buy speakers and hook them with the optical spdif port from the integrated ati sound chipset. Then, the hdmi sound will be disabled (or whatever).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot2.png
Views:	82
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	42059  Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	42060  
xps8700 is offline   Reply With Quote