View Single Post
Old 02-02-11, 06:23 PM   #15
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: gtx590 release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Actually I think you guys are the ones who should try harder. Why on Earth would a guy who spent $3000 plus to have the best of best monitor set up settle for any cheap ATi stuff?
Lets start with this article: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/review...roduction.html

I'm thinking I would buy a couple of HD 6970's based on this article, regardless of the price. The fact that each card is roughly $120 cheaper is simply icing on the cake.

Yea, you can throw on the whole "1 powerful card is better than 2 mediocre cards" But, when you throw on 2 of each card, the HD 6970 earns its stripes.

Quote:
He's obviously not poor, so that rules out the "Jinkies I could save a few hundred bucks!" argument.
Not saying he's poor, but why spend money when you don't need to? Why buy 2 GTX 580's when you can buy 2 HD 6970's, save $240, and have a faster setup?

Quote:
We all know that the 6970s aren't just slower at DX11, but they're slower at everything else, and it could well be that running 75X16 taxes a video card more than anything else would.
Read the article. As a single card, they're slower, but as soon as you saturate that VRAM with a crossfire setup at higher resolutions and multi-monitor, the HD 6970 pulls ahead. For the Uber enthusiast, AMD has hit a home run.

Quote:
There are no VRAM use graphs for his res that I know of, but as higher res means higher VRAM use, it's probably safe to say that having 50% more VRAM per GPU on the 580s could conceivably have benefits.
WTF? The 6970's have more VRAM. At lower resolutions and in single card setups, yea, the GTX 580 is going to win. No one in their right mind uses a lower resolution monitor for a single GTX 580, though.

Quote:
No hardware accelerated physics for him with the 6970s, worse multicard drivers.
Hardware physics is STILL a gimmick. About 2% of games out uses hardware accelerated physics. Even less use it well. I'm pretty sure the 11.1's fixed those outstanding issues too. Now you're just digging, searching for a bone.

Quote:
If you're think Slawter cares about saving $500 on graphics and is willing to compromise on perfromance and all of the above to do it, after spending $3K+ on monitors I don't know what else I can say.
Compromises? I guess... in your mind. I'm not seeing any compromises from that article.

Quote:
A guy I work with put it well: When you buy the best thing of whatever it is you're buying, you never want anything else.
Too bad the best (GTX 580) doesn't scale the best in multi-card setups. I guess that makes the HD 6970 the best in that regard. Nothing like getting the better value out of a high-end card. Who says an extra 512mb of vRAM doesn't help?

Keep trying. You've got to earn that paycheck from nvidia.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU