Thread: gtx590 release?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-11, 06:31 AM   #22
Rollo

Default Re: gtx590 release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
You're comparing a $600 card to a $380 card? What have you been smoking lately?
I'm smpoking the stuff that makes me able to see what the only reasonable recommandation is to a guy who is trying to run three 25X16 monitors. You're apparently smoking the stuff that makes you think 6970s are a good solution for a best of best rig that needs more VRAM than they actually have. I'll stick with my brand.

Quote:
Discrediting my evidence simply because you think those sites are AMD biased?
Let's not forget that your "evidence" used a NVIDIA card I wasn't recommending and you didn't realize NVIDIA cards exist that make the 2GB framebuffer on the 6970 seem small.

Quote:
The site is credible, and the evidence is the results of testing in a controlled setting that is designed to NOT play favoritism toward one brand or another.
Back when I used to read Driver Heaven, they were doing things like having contests to decide how to flamboyantly destroy high end NVIDIA cards to amuse the ATi fanboys who make up their readers.
On the top of their site is a banner that says "Click here to visit our AMD center!" Yeah, they are not biased.

Quote:
You want to play Nvidia fanboy? That's fine. I could care less about all the hardware you get for painting your face green, and then getting on these forums and making yourself look like God's gift to the internet simply because you get free hardware.
Why would you care who I have press privileges with? In the context of this thread, your only concern should be whether my advice was valid. Given my links to VRAM usage at resolutions far below what the buyer has, it's pretty obvious it was. You yelling "But that core mated to 1.5GB of VRAM can be slower than an ATi card with 2GB of VRAM, those NVIDIA cards with 3GB are too expensive!" isn't helping. People willing to spend $3K on monitors aren't pinching pennies and making sacrifices.

Quote:
What a sorry life you live.
I'm not going to go into what my life is, but my guess is a most people would trade me.

Quote:
And then you use evidence from widesceengamingforum.com as your rebuttal? And you're STILL comparing a $600 card to a $380 card. If the $600 card doesn't win, something is wrong. Too bad Nvidia's reference board doesn't have 3GB of memory.
Too bad you fail at the "logic". NVIDIA's reference design targets 99% of buyers and wins for them. For the person I was talking to, the 3GB version of the GTX580 is really the only option he has for best performance.

Quote:
Otherwise, it might have been the champ in multi-GPU. Instead, it ties in some cases, and flat out loses in others to a less expensive card from a company that you like to call the Hyundai of video card manufacturers.
But we're not talking about their reference design. What's next from you- "The 6850 beats a GTX240 so he should buy that!"
As far as reference designs go, I'd take NVIDIA's PhysX, 3d Vision, new games launching with SLi profiles instead of waiting, and the ability to write my own profiles over ATi's ability to run 8X AA better at 57X10 on some games any day. ATi tries to follow in NVIDIA's footsteps with their high school science project 3d and by begging devs to use OpenVCL w/o their support, but fall short as always.

[quote=Madpistol;2386792]
News flash... there's only 2 major competitors in this segment. Your logic is flawed to the point of near insanity if you think that is accurate. A more reasonable comparison might be Audi vs. BMW. Funny enough, Audi's new A4's seem to have stolen the show from BMW's 3 series.[/qupote]
Being one of two competitors doesn't mean you have a good product. ATi survives like their owner AMD does- they're cheap.

Quote:
If AMD is so much LOWER than Nvidia at the moment, why does AMD have the 2 top cards in the DX11 category? In fact, AMD has a lot more DX11 cards than Nvidia. From what I can tell, that means AMD controls the market at the moment. Funny how times change. Nvidia won DX10, but AMD is winning DX11. Sales numbers don't lie, and Nvidia is still recovering from their GF100 fiasco.
You see a lot more Kia's and Hyundai's on the road than BMW's and Lexus's- doesn;t mean they're better cars. (besides the fact ATi had a 7-8 month head start selling "DX11" cards that can barely run DX11.

Quote:
Keep touting a $600 card... It's ok. That's a lot of money for a single-GPU video card. You can buy a couple of HD 6950's for that price and absolutely CRUSH a 3GB GTX 580. Who in their right mind would EVER buy a 3GB GTX 580? What a waste of money.
The guy I was talking to needs a 3GB card due to his native resolution, you keep ignoring this in your attempt to sell the KMart Blue Light special 6970. The waste of money would be if he listened to you and watched his video thrash as it ran out of VRAM.

Quote:
Here's one thing that trumps what you say: Value dictates the market.
Here's something else: Your "evidence" is using a 2GB GTX 460. The 2GB HD 6950 and 6970 are both faster and use their resources better.
Not everyone has to pinch pennies, some people don't care about saving a couple hundred per card. I recommended the best solution, you've posted no evidence that 2GB is enough for 75X16. Your guess is irrelevant. Unless you can post benches that show 2GB is plenty for 75X16, your guesses mean nothing.

LOL you do love to go on and on and on. Sorry have to go be the team lead at a software company this morning, then I'm taking the afternoon off to enjoy my hobbies. Carry on yelling about "value!" to people who are talking about "best of best".

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote