View Single Post
Old 02-04-11, 12:34 AM   #1
prankstare

Default Xbox 360 Vs. PS3: Graphics RAM battle?

Hey guys, here I am again trying to clarify one more thing about this console battle, which now has to do more with graphics memory.

The Xbox 360 has a specialized 10MB EDRAM chip, which does all AA calculations, and an unified 512MB of GDDR3 RAM architecture running @700MHz, which I assume is used for both system operations as well as graphics operations (bandwidth: EDRAM @256GB/s and GDDR3 @22,4GB/s). Now the PS3 has 256MB XDR RAM running @3,2GHz, which is main system RAM, and another 256MB GDDR3 VRAM running @700MHz for graphics (bandwidth: XDR RAM @25,6GB/s and VRAM @22,4GB/s). Well, the one thing I don't quite get is why Xbox 360 appears to have more graphics RAM than the PS3? Everywhere I look, people say it so, but can't PS3 make use of 256MB XDR RAM (main system) also to load texture and other graphics operations? So that would be 256MB XDR RAM + 256MB VRAM in total, plus the use of swap file (HDD) which I am not sure the PS3 does but I've heard so. Plus the fact of Xbox 360's 512MB being unified, which I presumably say system RAM + graphics RAM, there should be LESS space for graphics than the PS3, right?

I just keep reading articles like this, and it gives me a bad headache. Also, if you haven't noticed yet, most PS3 games make use of at least some aniso, whereas Xbox 360 lacks almost completely this item, though I am not quite sure whether this is due to lack of graphics RAM to cache extra texture and mip-mapping or because the PS3 has far more storage space on its blu-ray discs.
prankstare is offline   Reply With Quote