View Single Post
Old 02-04-11, 07:20 AM   #11
Vincentx77

Default Re: Xbox 360 Vs. PS3: Graphics RAM battle?

I don't know whether or not AF takes any more memory, but it does use memory bandwidth. That's generally why graphics card benchmarks show how fast a card is when AF and AA is enabled, and if you notice, generally, the faster the card's memory, the better they perform in this area (at least to a point). When it comes to the 360 vs PS3, I've heard some people say the graphics chip in the 360 is more efficient. It's supposed to have some of the tech that went into the R600 series chips built into it. The RSX is a GeForce 7 series graphics card. I don't know if the RSX actually has extra hardware, like video decoding for blu-ray, or if it just leaves those things for the SPEs. Sony claims that the SPEs can help with graphics rendering, but they can't draw pixels, so aside from video decoding, that's probably just hype. At the end of the day, the PS3 does still have slightly greater memory bandwidth for it's GPU. From my perspective, unless you're playing Bayonetta, you're not going to see much difference between the two. Developers want to make bigger games, and both systems are constrained more by the amount of RAM they have than the speed of it.
Vincentx77 is offline   Reply With Quote