View Single Post
Old 02-05-11, 01:43 PM   #10
Redeemed

Default Re: Remote Access...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel4 View Post
Not sure how this will work with an attached modem.

but here is a link to how to set up their router for port forawrding for Remote desktop.

http://portforward.com/english/route...te_Desktop.htm
Yeah- see? If it were only a router they'd not have internet access and I'd be on the same LAN as they are. Instead I'm several hundred miles away wanting to remote access into their computer using Remote Desktop via mine and their internet connection.

I had a hunch doing this over an internet connection would be difficult. The whole thing about their ISP shaking hands with my ISP, their modem playing well with my modem, then dealing with my router in relation to theirs... maybe I'm better off just using logmein.

I guess... what would you recommend? Right now logmein is working great- I actually love the tools and monitoring utilities it provides. Depending on the monthly fee I'm contemplating subscribing however, I just hoped I could use Remote Desktop and do the same for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
Actually, a basic logmein (with a pro trial for 2 weeks) works fine.

I have been using it for a year to correct problems for PCs overseas. (family)

If you picked pro, just change it to basic/free version. I haven't payed anything, and its working to this day.
Hmm... I am using the pro trial. Guess I need to research the difference between the pro and basic subscription. If the basic will suffice then I'll likely just go with that.

Thanks again guys. Really do appreciate all the feedback and suggestions.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote