View Single Post
Old 02-10-11, 12:34 AM   #15
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: 570 GTX SLI Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent View Post
Alot of problems can apparently be solved by going back to the 10.5 drivers. Unfortunately, my 6870s don't support them. That was the kicker I guess.
That's why I think it's fine that you got dual GTX 570's. For some reason, AMD's drivers are not very good for the HD 6 series. It's especially bad for some CrossfireX users at the moment. I hope they get their act together soon. Ever since I got my 5870, I've seen a 10-15% increase in performance over time as their drivers have gotten better. For example, when I got Dirt 2, I could run the game @ 1920x1200, 4xAA, ultra settings and I got an average of 50 FPS on virtually every track. Now, I can run 1920x1200, 8xAA, and ultra settings, and I can set the game to Vsync because the framerate will stay pegged @ 60 FPS. It is a phenomenal experience now that they've gotten their drivers fully optimized.

I just hope they're able to pull the same miracle with their newer cards, too. Regardless of what people say about AMD's drivers, they suck... until they get it right. When they get it right, boy do they get it right. On the good drivers, I've had far less problems than I did with either my 8800 GTX or 9800 GTX+ in both XP and W7. While Nvidia's drivers would crash/blue screen once a day, AMD's drivers have NEVER cause a BSOD on either XP or W7 since I've used them.

AMD knows how to write drivers. It's those few bad ones that makes people hate them. Of course, Nvidia isn't perfect either (like the original Far Cry on a Geforce FX card, or Nvidia's 196.75 driver that killed cards by bugging the fan controller profile) It truly is luck of the draw.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU