Thread: Android Apps
View Single Post
Old 02-15-11, 08:56 AM   #17
Q

Default Re: Android Apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
have you ever been camping in wildlife for 2-4 days travelling though woods with zero signal?

i really doubt that google maps would be smart enough to cache he required info.
Not since I was a child and there wasn't really cell signal available in the nation.

The important thing is, though, that no one in their right minds would rely on a cell phone for GPS navigation for 2-4 days in the wilderness. These things will work for GPS, and usually quite well for driving. But you'll drain the battery on any modern smartphone in about an hour. If you're going to be out in the wilderness where your life depends on it, I wouldn't count on a half-ass app on a phone. I'd have a real GPS device for when it actually mattered. I imagine they have far better battery life and are built better for this purpose.

I realize that you're trying not to bring 50 gadgets along and you're trying to get the most for your money. Google Maps will more than likely not cache to the point where it would be useful in the deep woods. There are likely decent apps, as mentioned by others, that are designed for constant offline use that work fine. But your battery life is going to be miserable, even if you have your phone in airplane mode and your screen turned all the way down. As soon as I turn GPS on with my Droid Incredible, I might have an hour of battery left. YMMV, but I wouldn't count on a smartphone to be my GPS in the woods.

You got the answers you got in this thread because you didn't specify that you were going off the radar to live in a cave to avoid a nationwide manhunt. You should be clearer next time. When most people are worried about cell signal, they're thinking rural roads, etc. Especially at a tech forum, where most of us don't know what an "outside" actually is.

Q is offline   Reply With Quote