View Single Post
Old 02-21-11, 11:31 AM   #1
xanonus

Default 260.19.36 destroyed my GeForce 8400M G

I used current Debian Sid with the official 260.19.36 nvidia driver and kernel 2.6.37.1. In my Laptop (benq r56) a GeForce 8400M G is built in. It worked for 3 years.

In the last 2 days the xserver freezes sometimes completely with error messages
Code:
  [mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.
and some ev_driver lines in the Xorg.log

(similar to http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...e-loop-840985/ )

Today I could not really restart the X-Server after a freeze (the screen kept nearly black with some strange dots that fade out slowly).

After rebooting, the monitor shows now during and after the BIOS initialisation only strange pattern (half side white other side black, or other colors related to the thing it should show / or the fade out dot pattern). But an external monitor works. Linux itself does not boot anymore and the displayed text "loading linux kernel..." has some wrong letters. Windows Vista works, but only with a external monitor and low resolution, the nvidia graphic driver is not started as it had errors (Code 43).

Since there were in the past lots of heating problems with GeForce 8400M G, maybe the graphic card has overheated. Is there a way to check this? Or is there the possibility that only some permament internal settings in the graphic card are wrong, which could be restored?

it works again: see my last post in this thread.

Last edited by xanonus; 02-23-11 at 03:28 AM. Reason: it works again
xanonus is offline   Reply With Quote