View Single Post
Old 02-25-11, 07:00 PM   #1
726b

Default Linux and 3 monitors

Hello,

I have a question regarding the Nvidia Linux drivers and my GTX 460 on which I want to connect two monitors (DFP-0 and DFP-1) and a projector (DFP-2). DFP-0 is my primary monitor and is supposed to be enabled at all time, however, I want to be able to toggle between DFP-1 and DFP-2 as secondary screen. I can achieve this by launching nvidia-settings and adjusting the settings manually each time, but that is quite cumbersome.

Instead I created an xorg.conf containing:

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce GTX 460"
    Option         "TwinView"
    Option         "metamodes"        "DFP-0: 1920x1200 +1600+0, DFP-1: 1600x1200 +0+0, DFP-2: NULL; DFP-0: 1920x1200 +0+0, DFP-1: NULL, DFP-2: NULL; DFP-2: 1280x720"
EndSection
I hoped to use the xrandr command to toggle between meta modes 1 and 3 to achieve my goal. However, this does not work as expected. When X is started it does not recognize the third meta mode. Once I launch nvidia-settings I notice that the "Configuration" of the projector (DFP-2) is in fact "disabled", after having changed this to "twinview" X recognizes the third meta mode and everything works as I want. However, even if I press "Save to X Configuration File", the next time I start X the third meta mode is disappeared?

I already tried setting "ConnectedMonitors", but that did not seem to have any effect.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug?

Already thanks for your answers or suggestions.

Note 1: I am aware that twinview does not support three monitors. However, I only want to have two monitors enabled at the same time.
Note 2: I am using Ubuntu 10.10 and version 270.18 of the Nvidia drivers.
726b is offline   Reply With Quote