View Single Post
Old 02-28-11, 06:50 PM   #9
Rakeesh

Default Re: Looking for a tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I agree and disagree. iOS still has the best apps available period, there's no getting around that. Android is really awesome but I still think the apps make a huge difference.
Android may have smaller numbers when it comes to apps, however Android apps are far more robust and have far more capability of expansion than iOS apps. For example, want to implement an innovative new feature? On Android you can just go straight for it. On iOS, if the feature is too innovative, or in fact just plain "why didn't somebody do this before" obvious Apple will say no.

If an app needs root access on android? No problem, feel free to publish it in the Android market, anybody can download it all they want and Google will encourage it in fact. This leads to many really nice apps such as being able to access your sdcard as a standard smb/cifs file share over wifi.

Want these things on iPhone? Sorry but you have to surf the internet and find it yourself. And if you're a developer and want to charge money for such an app that apple forbids, you're hugely open to piracy.

Not only all of this, but most apps on Android are free or cost a lot less than their iOS counterparts. There's no fee to publish apps, and best of all, they can be developed on any platform, no need to buy a new macintosh just to write one app. So the developer can pass that savings on to you, and by and large, they do exactly that.

Bottom line is that when it comes to apps, everything iOS can do, Android can do better, and it can do more things. iOS merely has numbers (and some of these are e.g. multiple fart apps to choose from.)

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote