Thread: iPad 2
View Single Post
Old 03-08-11, 09:29 PM   #79
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
One thing I have been thinking, is I regularly do IT work for a friend of mine who is a pediatrician who started his own private practice, and he asked me if there was anything that he could carry with him easily quickly google information to assist in making a diagnosis (no he doesn't use google to make the entire diagnoses - he is a professional who was at one point making 310k a year and was in charge of many other doctors - just google is a lot faster than pulling one of his books out and flipping through pages)

I told him he may consider getting a tablet but I also told him that don't know if it would be as fast as he is looking for. Because correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think touch typing on a tablet would be pretty clumsy compared to a laptop. I suggested he might consider getting one of those laptop tables that you can move around easy, though I'm not entirely sure if there is something about tablets that I'm overlooking.
There are books he can get and slap onto the tablet if he wants and do his research directly.

Depending on how things are setup, he will likely have an indexed search within the app available for easy referencing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningman View Post
While I think you are right they are not desktop replacements, I do think In the near future with the availibility of G4 cell technology and a slightly larger screen, they could be a "desktop extender". whos desktop, I guess google or microsoft with be the deciding factor...
This very much depends on how applications/software progresses in the future. It is NOT intuitive typing on these suckers at the moment. Voice recognition software (Dragon for example is excellent) would be great to help out, but we are a long way from there right now I believe.

Remember when notebooks were supposed to replace desktops? We still see desktops out there. Tablets currently are a nice to have, but in terms of raw functionality, they still have a little ways to go.

Dual-core tablets are great, but, lack of ports and other small anachronisms definitely detract from their usability.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote