View Single Post
Old 03-10-11, 10:37 AM   #16
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Default Re: Seeking Upgrade Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17 View Post
It's not a question of "taxing" the system as much as "introducing a bottleneck".

So if you have an HD 6990 or 2x 6970's or whatever super-powerful-graphics-setup, the graphics cards will have the capability of pumping out more FPS. However, the CPU is also able to pump out only a certain number of FPS (that's why review sites measusre CPU performance in low quality mode). If the max amount of FPS a CPU can pump out is LESS than what your GPUs are capable of at a given setting point, then you are limited to whatever your CPU can pump out. Reverse argument applies if the CPU can pump out more frames than the GPU (you're limited to whatever your GPU can pump out).
yes I know all about that, here's a good article on it (couple years old now):

http://benchmarkextreme.com/Articles...alysis/P1.html

That's exactly why I'm asking... what I don't know is where the break down is, for example for a GTX580, what would be the lowest cost processor that you could be that would NOT create a bottleneck.... or in my case what I'm trying to figure out, is given my CPU=Quad Q9550, what is the best possible GPU I could buy that doesn't become bottlenecked?

I don't think hardly any sites provide this kind of detailed reviews but it would be nice if a few took specific cards and tried a bunch of CPU's and graphed the FPS...
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote