View Single Post
Old 12-02-03, 10:55 AM   #58
Desorien

Well I just copied the full kernel version 2.4.23 (not patch) and copied it in /usr/src deleted all the things related to the old kernel found in /usr/src and then :

bunzip2 linux-2.4.23.tar.bz2

tar -xf linux-2.4.23.tar

rm linux-2.4.23.tar

...and a new redhat directory was created.Then :

cd redhat

make xconfig

...and a menu appeared , selected all the things that I thoght necessary to my system , saved it and then :

make dep (for establishing dependencies)

make bzImage

make modules

make modules_install

After all this I renamed bzImage found in /usr/src/redhat/archi386/boot to /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.23.
Did the same maneuvre with System.map from /usr/src/redhat to /boot/System.map.-2.4.23.

Then I had to configure lilo which is where I screwed up .... what did I do wrong ? Isn`t this the standard kernel update ?

All I`m saying is that I did nothing unusual nor complicated and it would have worked fine if I had managed to correctly configure lilo (I tried to configure it so it would display me linux/linuxold/dos) where linuxold is the old kernel...

Does any one know how to correctly modify lilo given the data above ? This is how my old FUNCTIONAL lilo used to look before I modified it :

prompt
timeout="1000"
default=linux
boot="/dev/hda"
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message=/boot/message
lba32

image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8"
label="linux"
initrd="/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img"
read-only
append="hdd=ide-scsi root=LABEL=/"

other=/dev/hda1
optional
label="DOS"

image="/dev/hda1"
initrd="/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img"
append="hdd=ide-scsi root=LABEL=/"

Well now , any ideas ? I intend to re-install Red Hat 9.0 and re-update my kernel in the same manner except the lilo.conf thingie which I still don`t know how to handle.

I know all I had to do was to add the new kernel configuration to lilo.conf but ...
Desorien is offline   Reply With Quote