View Single Post
Old 03-24-11, 07:54 PM   #43
shadow001

Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

I saw most reviews, and the results really go back and forth between each card depending on the game or settings used, and even then, relative wins or losses for either one are usually less than 10%, so it isn't really performance that dictates a winner here so the good side of this is that competition between both cards is extremely tight, and users can't really go wrong either way.

Now the bad points....Both cards use way too much power,run too hot and are too loud,especially if they're overclocked with the standout here being the HD6990, and both also aren't PCI-e certified as the power limit within the specification, clearly states a 300 watt power limit for a single video card, regardless if it's a single or dual GPU card....Basically both companies didn't care for PCI-e certification when it came to power consumption and can greatly exceed it....Your power supply is going to hate this...

Then add the fact that a pair of GTX570's in SLI or HD6950/70 in crossfire, will perform the same or better and cost the same or less while being quieter and having more overclock headroom, simply because each card has it's own heatsink and fan assembly....Nothing is shared, and those cards are well under the 300 watt PCI-e power limit too...

If it were me, i'd use the fact that the PCI-e specification actually allows triple slot cooling assemblies, rather than the dual slot solutions used on both cards and that would likely lower temperatures and noise levels, since the heatsinks would be larger and able to dissipate more heat, and it's also likely that the fans wouldn't need to run as fast either, so the cards would be quieter too...

As for power consumption, i'd use the same idea that Asus did with their Ares line on the HD5970 cards using a custom PCB, as they used a triple power connector setup to feed the cards with power(8 + 8 + 6 pin arrangement), so that could feed them with up to 450 watts of power, and give more maneuvering room for more agressive stock clocks right from the factory....Giving either one just 375 watts with the current setup, knowing full well both are capable of using 450~500 watts, especially when overclocked, is playing with fire....
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote