View Single Post
Old 03-25-11, 12:12 PM   #58
shadow001

Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
It is incredible that Nvidia managed to make this card at all. The same pretty much goes for ATI and there 6990.

I can't believe also that Nvidia managed to beat ATI in the quieter category. I thought that the 590 would be louder that the 6990, I honestly thought there would be no way around that. So that is a massive kudos to Nvidia.

The clocks on the 590 are a bit of a disappointment one has to say though. I was hoping the core clock would be in the high 600's. I guess that is just no possible or the wattage needed would just be to great. It would probably have a big impact on temps as well. So the 6990 is the winner in the performance stakes, which isn't really surprising considering the clocks.

It is great to have competition in the very high end products though, one has to say. So well done to both ATI and Nvidia for making some beastly graphics cards. Now all we really need are some die shrinks. So come on TSMC and Global Foundries. Get your act together. Just imagine how much cooler(literally) and how much faster these cards would have been, had they not been limited to the 40nm process.

Agreed on all points, but i think that the 28nm process will be reserved for different architectures for both companies anyhow, at least when it comes to high end parts, but given the amount of time to get smaller and smaller fab processes ready for high volume production with good yields, which gets longer and longer as the process gets smaller, as it pushes lithography equipement and the materials used in the production of the semi conductors harder(especially around the gates), it's going to be hard for both companies to keep whatever product lineup they have planned for the next several years intact given that one variable alone.

If 28nm makes it by the end of the year, that means we'll have been about 2 1/2 years with the 40 nm process overall, and i'm not taking any bets on when TSMC or global foundries will have the 22nm process ready.....Could be well into 2014 if it's another 2 1/2 years after the 28nm process is out officially by the end of this year.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote