View Single Post
Old 03-31-11, 04:10 PM   #115
Rollo

Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
Hardware failures, especially in early cards, happen.
Really? Than why are you and Roadhog making such a big deal out of a few tortured 590s dying?

Quote:
a 30% jump in voltage is stupid
I agree, but that's exactly what guys like Wizard at TechPowerup did to blow up their cards.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...TX_590/26.html

Quote:
As a first step, I increased the voltage from 0.938 V default to 1.000 V, maximum stable clock was 815 MHz - faster than GTX 580! Moving on, I tried 1.2 V to see how much could be gained here, at default clocks and with NVIDIA's power limiter enabled. I went to heat up the card and then *boom*,
That's a 28% over volt that destroyed the card, and like you say, it's "stupid".

Quote:
. This is a few hundreths of a volt. Try 5% increase in voltage on the AMD cards. That will not kill them. Once again, taking the card out of PCIe spec is what we're talking about. THAT is what voids the warranty.
And what you are saying about 590s exploding happened with almost 3/10 of a volt. There are no verified posts of 590s dying with release drivers and non obscene over volts I know from reputable sources.

Quote:
XFX honors it though. Pure and Simple. Are you telling me that eVGA or ASUS should honor the warranty if you decide to overvolt your GTX 590 by modifying the BIOS?
My cards are built for NVIDIA, not brand name. I have no warranty. No, I'm actually saying XFX is foolish to do so if it's dangerous enough to the card every other vendor will not.

Quote:
Now you really have lost it. You're arguing points that are extremely unreasonable. A 30% voltage increase on any card will kill it. AMD doesn't allow you to do that. tweaking a bios to break the voltage barrier is stupid at best. You don't have to do that on the AMD card, and you can increase the performance. Yea, your warranty is going to be voided if you increase the voltage on ANY card by 30%. If you truly believe what you just said, you shouldn't be in the Nvidia focus group. You're suggesting that AMD's AUSUM switch is equatable to frying a card by overvolting it by 30%???
No, I just wanted you to say the above so the next time you or Road Hog post some comment about 590s exploding I can link yuou back to you saying that what made them explode is "stupid at best". (because that's exactly what I think)

Quote:
Also, I don't want your filthy money. I'm laughing in your face by how much that post of yours just failed. You must be getting desperate.
I think you meant to say "As I can't say for sure you didn't call someone at NVIDIA and talk to them about 590 sales, and then post their comments here, I'm not going to risk $50 you're telling the truth and buy you a bottle of Patron so you can make more decent margaritas."

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote