View Single Post
Old 04-19-11, 08:19 AM   #3
zbiggy

Default Re: NVIDIA, please, fix Adobe Flash 10.2.x and 10.3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
Adobe Flash player versions 10.2.x and 10.3.x are extremely buggy and almost unusable under NVIDIA drivers.

1) In Mozilla Firefox 4.0 it's impossible to smooth scroll some pages containing even static flash clips, like this one - when you try to scroll, CPU usage goes through the roof and scrolling becomes extremely jerky. Meanwhile if you manage to scroll, some flash clips will stop rendering properly and you'll see large gray areas instead of flash contents. See the attached screenshot.

2) When you load a flash video clip (e.g. youtube's one) in one of Mozilla Firefox tabs, then you switch to another application or Firefox tab, video contents will appear through the black areas of that application. E.g. just run a terminal emulator with the black background and you'll see the entire video clip on top of terminal window. I cannot make a screenshot of this problem, because it's some sort of X.org server glitch. Maybe people with cameras can make a screenshot of this issue. This issue is also discussed here and here.

3) When you try to maximize a flash video (tested with Flash 10.3 d180), or leave a page when a video is still playing, the system will completely stall for up to three seconds. Mouse will stop moving, if you were playing audio in this moment, it will stutter (as if the buffer stopped filling).

A few minutes ago my computer completely hung after I had completed watching a full screen youtube video - at this moment the video should have closed and become a part of a webpage.

P.P.S. If you experience any of the mentioned problems, please, add a comment.
Yes I had all the bugs you are talking about.
Here is the fix for all problems you are talking about:
You have to disable OpenGL hardware acceleration in Flash menu.
Go to the page you are talking about. Right click on the flash content (for example charts on this page). Choose 'Settings...' from flash context menu. On first tab uncheck 'Enable hardware acceleration' which is enabled as default. Since now everything is stable. I use flash 10,3,180,65 and firefox4. I was on the page you mentioned and everything is rock solid stable there. You can keep using:
EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
OverrideGPUValidation=true
because they have nothing in common with the bugs you encounter.

It looks Flash plugin is using GLX in a way which makes Nvidia driver stuck or doing crazy things with display.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote