View Single Post
Old 04-19-11, 02:02 PM   #16
zbiggy

Default Re: VDPAU Feature Set D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanjo View Post
Umm sorry but the GT-430 draws a hell of alot more power then the GT-520 and every generation of VDPAU has brought new supported features.
You will better make use of any recent IGP. Less power less noise and performance close to GT520. For movies no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanjo View Post
You know I have a bunch of 8200 based boards and all of them have the USB 1.1 working fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile
BTW i too have a 8200 board and had not noticed USB 1.1-related hangs.
To @gradinaruvasile and @Deanjo
The Nvidia usb 1.1 hanging bug is only present for full speed devices. Keyboards, mice and other low speed hardware are fine.
Full speed usb 1.1 devices like irda dongles, audio cards, ADSL modems will hang after few minutes of use. The only cure for this hang is to hard reset Linux. This usb trap is for Linux exclusively. Windows XP and Solaris are not affected. Nvidia never released kernel patch to fix the issue. You can workaround the trap by using noapic kernel boot parameter.

Do simple test:
Disable usb 2.0 in bios setup. Connect usb harddrive or pendrive. Copy files. It will hang after few minutes.

Now repeat the test on other machine with chipset other than nForce7xx/Geforce82xx. The copy will be fine.

Or connect any full speed usb 1.1 only device which makes intensive transfers over usb without disabling usb 2.0.

I do not blame Nvidia for selling chipset with broken usb ohci controller. I blame them for not providing patch to kernel which will fix it or workaround it.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote