View Single Post
Old 12-05-03, 09:49 AM   #6
jnd3
Sword Saint

Send a message via AIM to jnd3 Send a message via Yahoo to jnd3

Well, I tried both.

I liked Fedora's install, but my boot disk wouldn't actually boot (got Win2k, so I can't just overwrite the MBR). I decided to go back to it if Mandrake was unsuccessful.

Which it was. Sorta.

It needs lots of babysitting while installing. When it comes time to switch CDs, you'd better be there within a few minutes or the puppy's going to crash and burn. Quite annoying. I spent hours fiddling with it trying to get the wireless network up, but no-go. I didn't even get to the point of fiddling with sound, and don't even get me started about the monitor distortions due to the lovely 60Hz refresh rate (how the heck does one change that?).

I don't have a lot of time for tweaking and recompiling ... I really just want something that works when I plug it in. Look and feel was nice, but it takes a backseat to functionality. I might try Fedora Core again and give it a little push with the wireless (I had an easier time of it with Red Hat 8.0 vs. Mandrake 9.0 last time I went down this path).

If all else fails I'll sit back and wait for a while until the wireless network drivers reach a level of maturity. I don't plan on dumping Win2k any time soon, and it serves my purposes well for the moment. And so it goes.

Cheers,
JND

Mobile: Apple PowerBook 12" // PowerPC G4 1.33 GHz // 1.25 GB PC2700 // GeForce FX 5200Go 64 MB // 60 GB // OS 10.4.10

Gaming: XBox 360 Premium // Samsung LNS2651D // Wireless Networking Adapter // SwordSaintJND3
jnd3 is offline   Reply With Quote