View Single Post
Old 04-25-11, 04:38 AM   #4
blahblah1981

Default Re: Random system freezes since upgrading to KDE 4.6.2.

Thanks for your reply, Rusty. Your other posts to this forum have been very helpful.

I agree with you, I don't believe that KDE has anything to do with the issues that I am having, but after upgrading KDE to 4.6.2 my system has become unstable. This is really the only major change that I've made recently and since upgrading KDE stability has gone down the drain.

I'm not running anything too non-standard. This is my server/desktop so I do have a lot of ports installed and I am running linux emulation and sound which is probably where my problems are coming from, as you pointed out. I do not use ZFS, only UFS with gmirror.

My make.conf (in it's entirety):

Code:
CPUTYPE=native
KERNCONF=MYKERNEL8INCLUDES
WITH_NVIDIA_GL=YES
WITH_NVIDIA=YES
WITHOUT_NOUVEAU=YES
PERL_VERSION=5.12.3
I am using the base GCC to compile the system and ports. I am running RELENG_8, 8.2-STABLE.

If I had a second NVIDIA card I would test it, but this is the only one that I have. I would really hate to see GPU acceleration go, but I will probably do as you suggest and go to the NV driver soon (fsck after crash is killing me).

I really wish I could get a kernel dump, but even with dumpdev configured, I can't grab anything. When the system crashes it crashes hard and is quite simply dead; even the Num Lock key becomes unresponsive.

Thanks,
Richard
blahblah1981 is offline   Reply With Quote