View Single Post
Old 04-28-11, 07:18 PM   #34
shadow001

Default Re: Intel X79 Chipset

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
You're still in the same boat though. CPU-wise you're set. But what about native SATA 3.0, USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0 and Thunderbolt?
In fact, those features are more important to me than a 8 Core SNB-E for the Desktop

Well, as far as sata 3.0 is concerned, the board does have a 3rd party sata 3.0 controler(marvell i think) wich i'm using a pair of intel 510 SSD's in raid 0 with it, so the new X79 chipset will have more sata 3.0 ports most likely, but i only need 2 ports anyhow...

As for USB 3.0, i don't really use any external devices that would make use of it's extra bandwith over USB 2.0, and if those cases present themselves,i also have E Sata ports available for it anyhow...

So it leaves PCI-e 3.0 as the distinguishing feature here and i like that intel will integrate that into the CPU die as it'll reduce latency issues over the current implementation, but if the transistion from PCI-e 1.0 to 2.0 was any indication many years ago, the performance increase is pretty much non existant unless the software is specifically created to make use of it, and given how software is lagging behind these days with game developers still wanting to make their games run on outdated consoles up until 2014(that's when the X360 and PS3 will be replaced), i'm not holding my breath on that one...

I'm not in denial that there won't eventually be faster systems than my setup as time goes on, since technology is always evolving, but until that happends and even more so when software can make this current setup actually struggle at anything, well let's say several years have already passed once that point has been reached, so it's nothing i'm worried about right now to say the least...
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote