View Single Post
Old 04-30-11, 04:39 PM   #41
shadow001

Default Re: Intel X79 Chipset

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
It's not about performance, it's about the design of the board itself. That's why I mentioned the mainboard manufacturers in my post. With PCIe 3.0 and the doubled bandwidth per lane, supporting GFX cards, PCIe SSDs, RAID Controllers and external high bandwidth interfaces will be much more flexible. Very interesting stuff can be doable with that and that's why I'm really interested in PCIe 3.0.

I'm aware that the additional bandwidth will do nothing for gaming. I've tested that enough myself with 2 and 3 GTX 580 3GBs.

At least we agree on the hardware SATA controllers I'm using last year's entry level Adaptec controller with a SAS expander in my server and it handles a RAID 6 array easily. This year's models are highly SSD optimized, very cool products indeed.

Flexible in what way though?...Can you name examples?

See i used to be an easy sell when it comes to the latest hardware changes or updates to standards a long time ago, but maybe it's with old age comes wisdom, and that what a given technology has in terms of potential,versus real world practical differences in usability, flexibility and overall performance where on a fair amount of occasions, it didn't live up to the hype....I don't care about hype basically.

With PCI-e 3.0,i take a show me first attitude and i mean real world examples using what's out there software wise right now, not in 5 years from now or using synthetic benchmarks created specifically to show it that have no relation to how actual programs are written...
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote