View Single Post
Old 05-01-11, 12:33 AM   #949
Nightwolf

Default Re: Official "I just got a Geforce GTX 4xx/5xx thread"

Oh well, I'm new here and I'm in the process of getting a pair of 1GB MSI Cyclone OC GTX 460 cards for SLI. The first card I already have in my possession, and is in my computer, and I'm waiting for the second card to come.

I came from a pair of Visiontek Radeon 4870's that towards last, I was not happy with anymore. Visiontek did something to the bios of each card that prevents them from accepting a Windows7 generic VGA driver. On top of this, I find out that a bug in the drivers caused ME 2 to crash to desktop at random on me, and then I find out on the Bioware forums that everybody that has a 4800 series card will expierence the random crash to desktop problem with Mass Effect 2. a bug that existed in the 3870 days, where the screen for Mass Effect 2 would be all screwed up with psychedelic colors is back in the Catalyst 11 series ATI drivers and it doesn't look like ATI will fix these bugs. Towards last I started expierencing odd mouse problems with my Logitech Wireless M510 mouse in Mass Effect 2 and at the desktop, that was partially fixed by updating to the latest Logitech Mouse software and drivers for my mouse.

Awhile back, I even noticed the 4870's had odd Crossfire troubles with Two Worlds 2 in DX 10 mode, and even noticed odd problems with some other games, including Dragon Age 2.

I was going to wait until fall and get a GTX 590, but decided against as it would have costed more than the pair of GTX 460's I mention. Here's MSI's page for the cards I'm getting, the first of which is in my computer, as I mentioned.

http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=pro...0&prod_no=2029

Right now, I'm just tweaking the driver graphic settings, the fan speed, and disabled the power management stuff in the driver control panel, as I had a lot of stuttering when playing Mass Effect 2, until I disabled the power management stuff.

I think everyone can understand my being peeved with all the various bugs I've been coming across with ATI's drivers lately, and jumping ship and coming to Nvidia.
Nightwolf is offline   Reply With Quote