View Single Post
Old 05-01-11, 01:01 PM   #47
shadow001

Default Re: Intel X79 Chipset

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Looks like Intel is indeed doing something like this - already with X79 and much better

They will use PCIe 3.0 for their onboard storage solutions. 4 lanes will provide a lot of headroom. Lets just hope the "ICH" is ready for it - unlike the bandwidth cap on the old ICH10R

But additionally the CPU will provide 2 x16 PCIe 3.0 lanes. If the mainboard manufactures can distribute those in a smart way, there are lots of great systems possible!

Not all that bad after all, according to the latest rumors There is still the missing 8 Core issue. I have a feeling that Intel will release another Extreme Edition later on but I hope that this doesn't mean we'll have to wait for "Ivy Bridge E" and native USB 3.0 and TB support even longer.

Basically, if EVGA releases an SR-3 dual socket version using the X79 chipset or it's server variant, it will still have to use NF200 bridge chips to offer the graphics card options the current SR-2 has, and even then, it'll still be a 12 core/24 thread platform like the SR-2 is right now, and will still need Xeon processors for their dual QPI links(it's mandatory for dual socket platforms)....

I'm not saying it still won't be faster since it should be if they built one, but i'd be surprised if the performance increase was significant over the SR-2....I'd be interested if it were the ivy bridge with 8 cores and 16 threads per CPU, and the PCI-e 3.0 controler built right into the CPU core to seriously reduce latency and it doesn't have to go thru the northbridge chip at all....The CPU talks to the PCI-e slot directly basically.

Then a potential SR-3 version would be a 16 core/32 thread chewing machine, and should easily beat the SR-2 not only from the enhancements to the architecture, but also the extra thread handling capability(8 extra threads is nothing to sneeze at here)...
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote