View Single Post
Old 05-01-11, 02:25 PM   #49
shadow001

Default Re: Intel X79 Chipset

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Actually all that will happen with SNB-E already.

According the the latest rumor I posted today, the CPUs will have two x16 PCIe 3.0 that can be used for the graphics cards. So 4 slots with x8 each are possible and that would equal PCIe 2.x x16 bandwidth all without those NF200s. That is of course if the Marketing morons don't get in the way in case they want to still sell the "x16" over the "x8" wording

And the CPUs and the chipset will have enough remaining, some even dedicated, PCIe 3.0 and PCIe 2.x lanes to support additional storage and interface solutions.

Also the SNB-E DP and MP Xeons will be available in 8 Core/16 Thread versions right from the start. Just the desktop versions will only be 6 Cores. No info on Xeon UP yet.

So if a typical workstation board manufacturer like Tyan or Super Micro would suddenly decide to license their board/BIOS for SLI, the SR-3 would almost be on the market already. But with much better reliabilty of course. OC would not be possible but the Turbo would take over which is ok for that target group. And it would fit in an industry standard form factor.
That alone shows that something like the SR-2 is nothing special. But the company behind it needs to have the guts to do it.

If i'm reading this picture right, the PCI-e 3.0 controler is built into the patsburg chipset, not inside the CPU core itself, wich i was under the impression that would be reserved for Ivy bridge chips?....

As for my board, with the use of a pair of NF 200 bridge chips, it adds another 32 PCI-e lanes to the 40 that come with the chipset....72 lanes in total...

I told you this board is nuts....
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote