View Single Post
Old 05-01-11, 01:30 PM   #50
shadow001

Default Re: Intel X79 Chipset

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Like I said before, the SR-2 is a great budget choice because it's possible to overclock the cheaper Xeons instead of getting the higher clocked models.

If a company wants this much CPU power but doesn't need reliability and doesn't want to spend too much money, the SR-2 is a good option.

That's not possible when choosing its competing products like boards from Tyan or Super Micro or also workstation systems from Apple, HP or Dell for example.

Overclocking makes this board different from other dual socket boards and therefore also changes it's target group. But if someone still wants to use it as a conventional dual socket board, it becomes a great budget solution.

Keep in mind that the cheapest 6 core/12 thread Xeons(X5650's) are still 1100$ a pop, so that's 2200$ for the CPU's alone, wich is what i'm using right now....Budget is a relative word here, and makes the extreme series of CPU's for single socket boards like the 980x or the 990x look affordable by comparison....

The fastest chips this board supports are the X5690's, wich retail for 1700$ each, so that's 3400$ for a pair...1200$ more and would allow overclocks up to 4.5 Ghz, rather than settle for the 4 Ghz i'm able to hit reliably...
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote