View Single Post
Old 05-09-11, 01:04 AM   #22
rockob

Default Re: Optimus on Linux - Solved...

I tried installing bumblebee on an XPS 15 (L502x), but I get the following error when I run optirun64 or optirun32:

[VGL] ERROR: Could not open display :1.

I did get it working just once, after much playing around with nouveau and nvidia drivers, but when I tried a wine game the system crashed and after rebooting optirun64 no longer works, no matter how many times I reinstall bumblebee.

I see that the xorg.conf file no longer contain references to the nvidia driver. I guess the nvidia driver conflicted with the intel driver, which is why intel acceleration wasn't working before, and now bumblebee copies the bits it needs from the nvidia driver and then uninstalls it. Is that how it is supposed to be?

A small note on the installer: if you have manually commented out the nvidia line in /etc/modules and the nouveau line in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf, bumblebee's install.sh doesn't change these files, which presumably could cause problems.

Before I first ran bumblee's installer, my Ubuntu 11.04 installation had an nvidia 173 driver on it (Ubuntu installed it for some reason), and I had to manually uninstall this to get 3d working on the intel chip. Might this have caused the problem?

Anyway, how can I debug why I get the 'Could not open display :1' error?
rockob is offline   Reply With Quote