View Single Post
Old 12-08-03, 03:38 PM   #64
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Okay, say I'm crazy ("You're crazy!"), but here goes.

I picked up a copy of Deus Ex: IW (my logic: hey, if I hate it, I can always return it), and after reading the Ion Storm forums and the tech forums at Eidos, I got the game running pretty well on my system (AMD 2100+, 512MB DDR RAM, XP Pro, Geforce 4 Ti4200 (64MB)) at 800x600 - 2x Multisampling (no 'bloom' whatever the hell that means) and stable as a rock. All it took was a few minor changes to the defaults.ini file....all in all a total of about 10 minutes of time (~8 Minutes to read the forums for the fixes, <2 minutes to make the changes....big deal).

My conclusions, for what they are worth:

The storyline rocks....period. It really forces you to think about what you are doing and what you want to accomplish in the game with the choices you make and what actions you take, very much like the first Deus Ex. I won't give any spoilers away, but it isn't so much conspiracy oriented (unlike the first one) and more philosophy oriented (personal and socio-political). If that sounds vague, I'm sorry, but that's the best way I can explain it. If you play the game you will see what I mean.

The graphics are nice...very nice. As someone else mentioned, it uses unified lighting/shadows (i.e. all of the shadows are affected by the light sources....if the light moves, the shadows move). It's kind of neat to go into a location in the game that has hanging light fixtures and knock them around to watch the shadows dance.

Some poeple have complained about the inventory system and the biomod system. Well, I can't really say much other than they aren't much different from the first game. You can only select a limited number of biomods (just like the first game) and you can only upgrade them a certain number of times (again, just like the first game). I'll have to dust off my copy of the first game, but IIRC, you couldn't change mods once they were installed. Well, you can in this one. Also, you needed a medbot to install your mods in the first game, in this one you don't. How is this worse than DE1? If anything, it's better. You can install/upgrade/change mods on the fly.

As for the inventory system, well, you can hold only a certain number of things (just like DE1), but unlike DE1, you don't have to worry about how much space they take up in your inventory. Smaller items like grenades and medkits, etc. stack so they only take up one space each. How is this worse than DE1?

People have also complained about the unified ammo system. Well, I didn't think it was a good idea either at first, but I eventually got used to it......and eventually didn't even notice it really. The display showed how much ammo I had and that was that. The only worry you have is which weapons use more ammo than others and even then you soon forget about that too. I've played the game all the way through, and I typically had all the ammo I needed when it was necessary. Your mileage may vary though, depending on how you play the game.

Another complaint I've seen is about the HUD because it gets in the way, or it doesn't look like the old HUD. Well, as for looks, get over it...its a new game....new HUD. It shows you what you need to know. As for it getting in the way, that is fixable. You can change the size of the HUD in the default.ini file as well so that it is closer to the edges of the screen and less intrusive or you can make it more transparent in the in-game menus. I resized it and now I have no complaints.

The bottom line is, sure, the game was released with some glaring issues that could have easily been fixed or avoided before release (hell, I easily fixed a lot of them myself), but despite all of that, I think this game was well worth the purchase. I too, thought that this game was teh suxor from playing the demo. It just didn't give me the same feeling that I got from playing DE1 and the performance was crap, yadda yadda, you've heard it all before. Well, I gave the full game a shot anyway, and you know what? Not 5 minutes after I started playing the DE1 feeling came back (and if you really enjoyed DE1, you probably know what I am talking about).

If you enjoyed DE1, then you will most likely like DE2. Yes, there is crap to fix (or just wait for a patch), but trust me, it is well worth it. I was very pleasantly suprised. I will probably be playing it again very soon.

EDIT: P.S. - If you get the game and want some help getting it to run well, but don't want to bother (or feel like) going to the IS forums or Eidos forums, just PM me and I'll be happy to help.

Athlon XP 2100+ | 512MB PC3200 RAM | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | GeforceFX 5900 VIVO 128MB @ 475/950 | 2 Western Digital SATA 120GB HDD in RAID 0 | 1 IBM 60GXP 60GB HDD IDE | 36x 12x 48x CD-RW | Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers | 19in. Samsung 955DF Monitor | Windows XP Pro

Last edited by Nephilim; 12-08-03 at 04:31 PM.
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote