View Single Post
Old 05-24-11, 01:09 AM   #1
benwah

Default nvidia Quadro NVS 4200s not working on Ubuntu Natty Narwal 11.04, require assistance.

Hi,

I just purchased a Lenovo t420s with the following system specs:

Intel Core i7-2620M Processor (2.70GHz, 4MB L3,1333MHz FSB) with Intel
14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit Antiglare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
NVIDIA Quadro NVS4200M Optimus technology (1GB)
6 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
128GB Solid State Drive, Serial ATA
Intel WiFi Link 1000

It's a really good machine, but unfortunately I am having problems making it work with Ubuntu 11.04. I am a long-term Linux user, a python developer and a supporter of open source software, I cannot use Windows for my purposes and I need help to enable my video card drivers.

I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.04 on my system, and updated all packages. I then installed the latest Nvidia drivers available, and ensured that Optimus is disabled in the BIOS. After rebooting, nvidia-settings complained that my system wasn't configured to run the drivers and I must run nvidia-xconfig so I did.

After running nvidia-xconfig, my system wouldn't want to run XFree86, and stayed in terminal mode. I checked the xorg log and found this:

Code:
    (!!) More than one possible primary device found
    (II) Primary Device is:
    (EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
    no screens found
I saw something about this error here : ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...DME/README.txt it says that it may be a bug with earlier versions of XFree86

I am running version 1.7 ov xorg, so this should be fixed. I tried to nvidia-xconfig --enable-all-gpus but it still wouldn't work.

Anyone has a clue what the problem may be?

Kind regards,

Benoit
benwah is offline   Reply With Quote