View Single Post
Old 05-30-11, 09:57 AM   #8
Gusar

Default Re: Permission For opensource optimus support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlanMaster View Post
Optimus is NOT TRUE dedicated graphics and should not legally be allowed to be advertised as such.
You get the full power of a dedicated graphic chip in your machine.

Quote:
we're out a grand because we trusted Nvidia's past reputation without checking to see how they were messing around with things.
That's really your problem, not nvidia's.

Quote:
I don't understand why a simple communications function can't be written into the driver to allow easy passage through the igp into the nvidia gpu and back.
The nvidia driver is closed. The intel driver is open.

Quote:
The only other option, according to an attorney friend, we consumers have is to open a class action law suit against NVidia for false advertisement
Nvidia never advertised Optimus support in Linux.

Quote:
(asus n53s series with geforce gt540m gpu which was advertised as dedicated but has the intel integrated gpu blocking direct access to the nvidia gpu).
Complain to Asus then.

Quote:
I'm sure this is not unique to me but someone at nvidia could surely lobby the open source community for an easy, inexpensive fix, if they are afraid to provide one themselves.
I don't get what you're trying to say here. What does nvidia have to do with the open source community? They provide a closed driver. That is all. What the open source community does is none of their concern.
I also don't get what nvidia is supposedly "afraid" of. If supporting Optimus was "easy" and "inexpensive" it would've been done already.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote