View Single Post
Old 10-03-02, 11:46 PM   #8
skipparoo

Quote:
Originally posted by Gator
OpenGL 1024x768, everything enabled and set to high...

Only exception is I have Physics=normal, but that's more CPU dependent than video card, and Techspot.com recommend for a 1.5ghz that I keep it at normal. ;)

I get between 60 to 110fps depending on what map and the action going on in the game.

:)
Well, I run the game at 1024x768, all details maxed out, with no image quality tricks applied. Personally I don't see it necessary to have filtering or anti-aliasing methods enabled for a game such as this (Unreal 2 will be different though, singleplayer :P). In multiplayer, this can hurt your gameplay considerably if frames start to drop in heated battles. Also because of the fast action, image enhancements generally go unnoticed. I do like to have all details within a game maxed though, if possible, and in this case, it is.

I have a Athlon XP clocked at 1.6GHz and a GeForce4 Ti 4600, and setting the physics detail to highest doesn't seem to have much of an impact on my performance. More importantly, I enjoy the physics immensly, so I like to have that setting on highest foremost. A good setting to disable though is detail textures, since you only witness those at close distances, and in levels like Inferno, this can make a difference. But I will say, more system memory does seem to be very beneficial in this game. It seems like a lot of the times I play, I have 0 ping, which is not normal for me having just a simple cable connection.

I recently installed another stick of DDR RAM (before I had the game however), making a total of 768MB, and there is no texture swapping at all like some people have reported with less RAM, and I think the low ping is contributed to this upgrade too. Definitely something some of you might want to put on the Christmas list :P

Also, the new 40.72 drivers do boost performance quite nicely. Smoother gameplay in UT2003, and no doubt, bug fixes overall.

-Skippy

Last edited by skipparoo; 10-03-02 at 11:49 PM.
skipparoo is offline   Reply With Quote