View Single Post
Old 12-10-03, 12:02 PM   #12
SnapIT

Quote:
Originally posted by LordMorgul
You sound educated enough to me to dispense with that word game. Did I say 'at least'? Didn't think so (neither did I mention 'good enough'). I stated testable fact, the majority of ATI / nVidia users I've heard from concur that the nVidia drivers have been more stable over the years. (no I didn't pay a subsidiary company of nVidia to conduct a survey, its just what I hear from people)

You argue against my own experience with the drivers as if you've tested the stability of my machine yourself. You should know better.

While arguing that the stable branch is more stable than the devel branch you state clearly that there is no stable branch for linux. Therefore you cannot even compare them. If the branch doesn't exist for linux how do you know it would be stable on linux?

This is pointless in the end, but you beg the question. What DOES make the difference between a /stable branch and a /devel branch? It is not an empirical measurement of quality for all situations on all supported hardware or anything of that sort. The difference between two branches of development is almost always in the intention of the developers not to change what works (whether very stably or barely working) already by adding extensive changes, i.e. new features. A stable branch is a codebase that is not changing, not a compiled product that does not crash.

Simply lacking a branched source does not imply anything, of its own accord, about the stability of the product. Again, this is statement of fact, not an 'excuse' of any kind.
FFS man, you are arguing about the definition of your post... please... just stop it... I will drop this here..

The rest of your post makes me smirk, you have obviously never been involved in anything that has anything to do with programming, or, if you have, i feel sorry for your employers...

"what is the difference between a /stable branch and a /devel branch" well, when it is found tried and true, and believe me, it takes a LOT of time and effort to get htere, we would place it in the /stable, or rather, the admin would, we could argue all we wanted that the newer /devel was better, but until it is proven stable, it does not get into the /stable branch...

"a stable branch is a codebranch that is not changing"????

Excuse me, the stable codebranches tend to change a LOT, not anywhere near as often as /devel, but that is why there are two and not one, /devel is for developers, it is code that is not yet finished, when it is finished we will evealuate it and send our evaluations to the admin, if he sees the code as stable, he will add it to the /stable branch, and thus, the stable branch is updated... or "changed"...

I am the Admin of several programs, let me tell you, you are wrong and i am right, there is no question, you just do not have any idea of what you are talking about, arguing any further will just make you look more stupid...

Lacking a /stable and only producing /archive and /devel is NOT a good practice, i believe that any real programmer would agree on that...

Regarding the excuse that you made, well, it is a kiddies game, one you can try to play, but when you are wrong you will get to sit in the corner, it does not matter if it is the best when it isn't good, it doesn't matter if joe ripped your nose off, you still cannot beat sarah...

Just because ATI's drivers are worse than Nvidias does not mean you should be thankful for Nvidias crappy drivers...

Do you get my point? It doesn't matter if ATI's drivers are worse for Sue, my Nvidia drivers don't work, should i claim that my non-working drivers are okey because more people have problems with the drivers she is using?

You are obviously not a programmer, when it is != it is != and nothing in the world will make it =...

Now go sit in the corner...
SnapIT is offline   Reply With Quote