View Single Post
Old 06-17-11, 11:05 AM   #17
sparvu

Default Re: multiple monitors, higher GPU temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeisom View Post
You may want to see about kicking up the fan speed. At least with my GTX 465 it will stay a 50% fan speed unless I override it manually. I believe you need to set Coolbits in xorg.conf to 4 for adjustability.

Edit:
Just saw you pics. Looks like it changes but only 38% at 83C from 36% at 57C.
Thanks. I did enable Coolbits and set that to 50%. Temp stays around 69C or so ...
PNY answered:

"
The way your Quadro 4000 works is normal.
When a sole display is connected and the system is idle, the graphics card eventually goes to a low power state that consequently makes the GPU temperature to decrease. The working frequencies of both the video memory and GPU, as well as the working voltage, are lowered to a minimum. It is not the case when two displays are connected (and enabled) to the card, even if the system is idle. This low power state is never used, the voltage and frequencies are only a bit lowered. These settings are all specified by nVidia in the video bios itself.

As a result, in the first case you will notice a low GPU temp. you will never get in any other way.
Running 3D graphics the Quadro card will be in the same position connecting either one or two displays, as the highest power state will then be used to ensure maximum performance, making the GPU temp. increase to around 90-92\260C.
"

No comments ! If my GPU gets hotter I expect the fan to kick in. It does not !
This looks to me a driver issue and design flaw in nvidia.

I did partial fix:

xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "Quadro 4000"
Option "Coolbits" "4"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
BusID "PCI:6:0:0"
Screen 0
EndSection

# nvidia-settings -a [gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1 -a [fan:0]/GPUCurrentFanSpeed=51

the card still runs as PCI-E x8 and not x16 !!! I have no idea why.
sparvu is offline   Reply With Quote