View Single Post
Old 06-23-11, 04:49 PM   #4
tkod

Default Re: Ubuntu Quadro FX 880M Powermizer Stuck

Hello everyone. Although I didn't manage to get any feedback here, after 3-4 days of extensive searching on the internet I put a lot of stuff I found together and fixed my problem. I'm posting this because my problem seems similar to

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=141116

which It seems hasn't been resolved yet. And it probably won't be, because at least in my case it wasn't nvidia related, but due to crappy HP laptop bios, and since windows handles this buggy bios it's considered linux issue.

I used mostly things from here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1036051

on how to fix dsdt file (I'm not gonna go into detail because well I just can't), and most importantly this topic was a total lifesaver -

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=159544

A lot of thanks to zander for pointing the exact problem and to Brendan Visser for posting how he fixed it.

Here are the exact steps it took me to fix it up:
1.install iasl from repos:

sudo apt-get install iasl

2.copy current dsdt file, change it's permissions, and disassemble it

sudo cp /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT ./dsdt
sudo chmod 777 dsdt
iasl -d dsdt

This will give you a file dsdt.dsl

3.Open it in text editor. If there are any lines before the first commented line (line that starts with /* ) delete them (if there are they shouldn't be more than 2-3, if you're not sure ask). Now here's what fixed things for me (note that it might not work for you,especially if you're not using HP)

Put the section:

Device (PEG3)
{
}

before the section(cut and paste it):

Device (PEGP)
{
}

4.Save and close the file and compile the new dsdt:

iasl -tc dsdt.dsl

Don't worry if this gives you some errors, although if you are skilled enough to fix them in the source code probably another things will start working in linux on your computer(like brightness controls, hibernation and suspend etc. if they aren't working already). You should have a dsdt.aml file now. Put it in your /boot folder.(sudo cp dsdt.aml /boot)

5.Download the attached 01_acpi.txt, rename it to 01_acpi make it executable and put it /etc/grub.d/

It's important to make it executable. This works for grub2 only, if you use another bootloader google how to load custom dsdt table.

6.update your grub entries

sudo update-grub

7.Reboot

Disclaimer:
This may or may not work, based on your hardware, your bios and your exact problem. It's only known to help on HP 8540W with quadro fx 880m or 1800m .
This guide may render your system unbootable.
I don't think it could do any harm to your hardware but I'm not taking responsibility for that either.

I really hope this guide helps someone, I've been trying to solve the problem for over 2 months now and I'm quite happy I finally did.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 01_acpi.txt (627 Bytes, 85 views)
tkod is offline   Reply With Quote