View Single Post
Old 06-28-11, 09:20 PM   #24
Bman212121

Default Re: Firefox 5.0 Final released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningman View Post
I think this is a great move on thier part. With browsers being the main gateway for security intrusions into home computing, have an excelerated development cycle makes and silent updates makes sence. this is going to close so many holes to maleware and virus' that this could be a major step in combating those scumbags....
I don't know if I would agree with that. If you can get a 0 day to simply turn off auto updates then you'll have plenty of time to work on security holes. There will be a lot less time invested by mozilla testing releases and chances are there will be a lot less bugs that are going to be found and patched if the code never sits still. On the flip side it will keep malicious users on their toes because they won't have as much time to work on exploits for a particular version.

One thing that probably won't change is the time it takes to fix a bug when it is found. It's possible that an exploit could exist in multiple versions of firefox. I still think that as a whole having the faster releases would probably help, but I can see a lot of cases where if the ball is dropped it's going to create more chaos than needed. Can already see the day where somone commits a change last minute and it isn't throughly tested, then the silent release pushed it out to 100,000 people and broke everyone's browser.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote