View Single Post
Old 07-01-11, 12:41 AM   #1
Rakeesh

Default Need some comments on this deal

So I went by fry's electronics to pick up some appliances, and made a quick visit to the computer components and scored this deal (newegg links for reference):

Intel i7 2600k $279.99
MSI P67A-C43(B3) $90.99
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 9-9-9-24 $64.99

I bought it today because the deal for these prices expired today, and figured I'd do further research when I got home (they were about to close, so I didn't want to miss out on this because I can always come back and return it.) I'm upgrading to this from a Core 2 Quad Q6700 build I made almost four years ago. After shopping around online, the prices I paid are $20+ each better than what I could get them for anywhere else; so far so good.

However I then read some reviews of the 2600k in a few places suggesting that the 2500k is a better value if you are mainly just gaming, although the best price I can find for the 2500k online is only $60 less than what I paid for the 2600k. That said, would anybody who has experience with these processors care to comment on whether or not it would be a good idea to return the 2600k and pick up a 2500k instead? (there are no restock fees.)

Also one big reason I am upgrading this year is because I will want to play Skyrim when it comes out, otherwise I was going to wait until November. Another reason is that I'm about to buy a new SSD (my current 80gb one is just too small) and was going to pick up a SATA3 based OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, and my current mobo is only SATA2, so the extra speed would go to waste, but I don't want to buy a slow one now and then still have that slow one later. With these two in mind, this seemed like a pretty opportune deal.

I haven't upgraded my computer in over four years, so I'm not very up to speed on what may be coming right around the corner. So any comments on what I might want to wait for, or if I could get a better deal doing something else? Also one of the sales guys I talked to was suggesting getting an i7 950 with tripple channel memory instead, which may perform better yet cost less. I'm very dubious of that, but I've been out of the loop for 4 years.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote