View Single Post
Old 07-03-11, 01:36 PM   #35
Redeemed

Default Re: nVidia's 28nm Kepler expected to hit stores in late 2011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Don't get me wrong here, i'm not talking about Nvidia exclusively but also AMD, as their latest dual GPU cards just basically piss all over the PCI-e power specification in terms of maximum power, wich is 300 watts and interestingly enough, nobody seems to care that they do...

Even in the single GPU arena the overall power consumption is still going up at a gradual rate for both brands, even though marketing companies will sugar coat it by saying that the performance might double for 28nm parts compared to the current 40nm ones, so those new GPU's are more power efficient for the amount of workload they output, and they'd be correct....I'm just looking at what my wall socket and breaker is saying to me..

**** you and your system basically, or in star trek terms... Captain, we just don't have the power....
You know it is rather interesting you bring this point up. Out of curiousity I googled the power draw for a 7900GTX, then googled the power draw for my 5770. Both are pretty much the same! So my 5770 is offering, what, maybe four times the performance of a 7900GTX at the exact same power draw. Pretty awesome I thought.

But yeah, you're right. The power requirements seem to be getting higher and higher as time progresses.