View Single Post
Old 07-09-11, 05:22 PM   #1
Clarion

Default Alienware m14x display problems in Ubuntu 11.04

Hello everybody,
I bought a Alienware M14x three weeks ago. While I am quite happy with it, when I run Windows 7. I have great problems running Ubuntu 11.04 alongside with Windows. Always when I boot Ubuntu I get a Screen, where the left side is entirely black and the right quarter of the screen is white with vertical black thin lines. You can find a image on the following site: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/135/dscn2209v.jpg/

Ubuntu is running properly in the background as I hear the login sound. When I close the laptop and open it again I can circumvent the problem and Ubuntu shows normally.

As Ubuntu is running normally I assume that the problem lies in my graphic cards. Looking through the forums suggest several actions: update Kernel to 2.6-39.0, install bumblebee or update the Nvidia driver. I have problems finding Kernel 2.6-39.0, so I cannot install it, bumblebee doesn't help and installing the new Nvidia driver is actually worse as Ubuntu doesn't boot anymore after installation.

I would greatly appreciate any hel

Here are some specifications of my system. Let me know if you need anything else:

Alienware M14X
Intel Core i7 2720QM 2.2GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Mode, 6M cache)
GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
14.0 High Def+ (900p/1600x900) with WLED backlight
3.0GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus technology

Thanks a lot!!
Clarion is offline   Reply With Quote