View Single Post
Old 07-19-11, 01:06 PM   #25
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Can't beat 'em, sue 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
That's fine. I have used both iOS and Android, and honestly iOS feels like it has kid gloves on when dealing with the user. I can't browse my files, I can't install 3rd party software. The devices are run like 1930's Germany. I personally don't want to sacrifice freedom for "smoothness", which is subjective. My Droid X is very smooth and I can actually do what I want to do with the device, instead of what the developer allows me to.
Fair enough. I know I've said it a thousand times, but I'm so over doing the "advanced/geeky" stuff on my phone. That to me equal to tinkering, which is something I don't want to do. I want to turn my phone on, have some stability, have it run smoothly and have a wide variety of apps/games. Done. Android doesn't offer this IMO.

Quote:
Deal breakers on iOS:
  • All apps MUST come from app store
  • Why is this a problem? Are there really that many apps outside the Android Market you have installed? Besides Swype, Firefox and a few small apps, all of my apps came from the Android Market; and all of those apps I mentioned are no longer installed, therefore I'm running strictly off of Market apps.

Quote:
  • Can't use a different keyboard (swype, swiftkey)
  • Swype is in Cydia, but I think it's oveerrated. The standard keyboard is fine enough for me. Also, since I'm a fast typer, the iPhone keyboard doesn't lag like the Android keyboard does.

Quote:
  • Not true multitasking
  • The multitasking on my iPad works just fine.

Quote:
  • No widgets
  • Widgets are overrated too IMO, most of them are just a pretty hyperlink to the actual app itself. Some being Tapatalk, Market, Music, etc. I quit using them since they tend to slow down my phone UI.

Quote:
  • Changing settings takes 10 menus (e.g. SBSettings is required)
  • I can see this being a problem and maybe worth jailbreaking. I don't have an iPhone yet so I can't really comment on this.

Quote:
  • No file management on the device (need iTunes)
  • I don't do any real file management on my Android phone, don't see any need in it. On my iPad, all of my files are in Dropbox.

Quote:
  • iTunes (super bloat)
  • iTunes is kind of a crappy program. I hated using it in Windows but it's a different scene on a Mac.

My iPad decided to take a dump this morning and I had to restore from a backup. Backups on iTunes are pretty darn painless, just like Android. With iOS 5, it will make it that much better (cuttin the cords).
[/quote]
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote