View Single Post
Old 07-22-11, 05:45 PM   #86
dyrvere
a fraggin' bastich

Send a message via Skype™ to dyrvere
Unhappy Re: Bug Report: Hard crash (freeze) with nVidia GTX 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvanor View Post
Hello, I am experiencing hard freezes (eg, computer totally hung up, impossible to kill X or do whatever, have to reboot) with an ASUS nVidia GTX 460.

I am using kernel-2.6.37-rc5 (vanilla) on Gentoo, nVidia drivers 206.19.29. The problem also appeared using any combination of kernel and drivers since I installed the card (I tried 2.6.33, 2.6.35, 2.6.36 at least, with older nVidia drivers as well).

This happens about once a day (maybe once every two days) and seems to be totally random. Eg, sometimes I just move my mouse on the screen, and bam, it hangs; sometimes I leave my computer running during the night (doing nothing), I return next morning only to find it has frozen.

I am sure the culprit is the nVidia binary drivers; if I remove them and install Nouveau drivers, no more crashes (I did that and it ran for 3 weeks without problems - I reinstalled the binary drivers 4 days ago and already suffered from 3 hard freezes).

I attach the log requested but it seems to me it does not contain any useful info - maybe the script had a problem?

How can I further help nVidia troubleshoot and fix this *extremely painful* problem? It prevents from using my computer in normal conditions...
It's a shame really.
I experience the same problems as well most of the time. But for me they occur when flash content would be playing on screen. So now I've commented out #EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1 in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg and hope that will help, unfortunately this means it's running without hardware decoding on youtube etc. Knock on wood, no freezes. On the other hand your card would use a different VDPAU so perhaps no relation.
dyrvere is offline   Reply With Quote