View Single Post
Old 07-26-11, 11:30 AM   #64
Slytat

Default Re: Intel X79 Chipset

Shadow001 has made claims that he uses it for more than just benchmarking/gaming although I never heard any of these claims when he was trying to pimp his dual 5970 box.

The point is that a single OC'd 2500/2600K will best your system where gaming is concerned and that is already 6 month old hardware, the 3960x will widen that margin significantly.

By the time 12 cores are relevant for gaming, there will be a single 12 core CPU. No game developer in their right mind will develop a game for a non existent segment of the gaming market when better results can be achieved with a single processor.

Furthermore, making arguments that the 990x/3960x's 'extra' 2 cores are useless, and then in the same post trying to make the case that your 'extra' 6 will be utilized at some point, is borderline schizophrenic IMHO. Obviously, 6 (then 8) cores are going to be the next relevant plateau as far as gaming goes. As previously stated, game developers don't design games with server/productivity hardware in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
See the funny thing about that statement is that the main enhancement of the upcoming SB-E is that it has extra cores(2 more) and handles 4 extra threads too and adds 2 extra memory channels, compared to the current 4 core/ 8 thread, twin memory channel sandy bridge that you love so much for gaming, and it's exactly those extra cores and extra threads and memory channels that games still don't use, but many will still buy the systems with these upcoming processors anyhow...

As for my own system, if/when games do use those extra cores/threads, it's bye bye sandy bridge in gaming, as the processors in it still have plenty of untapped speed for gaming when you have 12 cores and 24 threads to play with, and even now with them running at 4 Ghz rock stable for the last 4 months straight, they're not exactly a slouch in any game out there, even though their full potential is not even close to be fully used....
PS: I'm genuinely glad you enjoy your PC but we don't want to hear about how 'great' it is in every post.
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote