View Single Post
Old 12-14-03, 04:26 PM   #3
Jim1

Hmmm... maybe the linux guys at nv should pull a slackware and inflate the numbers a bit so linux seems ahead!

Are you talking about the second image in that thread? That colour correction's equivalent to the 'simple' mode in windows, where you can just set brightness, contrast and gamma for the three channels.

For the advanced in win32 you can plot any line you like, I use it because my monitor/ramdac tends to have a high black point, hiding darker details, but is then roughly linear so ramping up the gamma isn't ideal for the rest of the picture, and pushing up the brightness nudges the light bits over the white point.

This is sometimes a problem for FPS games with a lot of dark bits. I managed for a year without it in windows, but now I can fine-tune the settings I can't believe the difference a small but careful tweek makes. (shame I can't show it in a screenshot either)

Does this capability exist in the linux drivers, but not have a front end, or if I edit the variables manually is it just the same variables the GUI exposes? I suppose advanced mode is a quite new feature in win32 so it'll take a while to come to linux?

Btw, my monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 171s and vid card the older abit siluro ti4200, before they introduced silly cooling systems.