Changing the nv to nvidia allowed the driver to start, I think I may of fiddled with that setting back around RH 7.3 but I don't think I've touched it since. Either way the server now starts but I'm back to the original problem of textures missing . I've tried enemy-territory and the return to castle wolfenstien single player demo. The sp demo worked fine, but enemy-territory has sections of texture missing all over the place. I've tried using startx -- -logverbose 5 to provide more info though I'm not sure where it puts the log, I'm assuming it's in /var/log/XFree86.0.log which is why I'm attaching it.
btw thanks for all the help just getting OpenGL launching