View Single Post
Old 09-05-11, 11:39 AM   #2
Redeemed

Default Re: Alienware m17x Video Card question!

To the best of my knowledge, most laptops don't use a resolution that's any higher than 1920 x 1200, in fact I believe most are lower in resolution. As such, you don't need as powerful a GPU to push the pixels through.

I game at 1920 x 1200 and for a while was rocking a 5770. At times I saw the GPUs limitations, games like Crysis I had to sacrifice settings such as anti-aliasing and what not to maintain smooth framerates. But those titles are few and far between, most every title I was able to max out completely.

I mention that because the "6990m" and "GTX580m" and even the "590m" wont' hold a candle to their desktop parts. The mobile parts are always slower in performance for obvious reasons. Even the 590m won't compare to a desktop GTX580. The performance you're getting from these "top-end" mobile gpus really compares more closely to a "high-end-mainstream" desktop GPU like the GTX570 for example.

So in short, I'd say you'd be happy with either. Both are really solid performers for the resolution you'll likely be running.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote