View Single Post
Old 09-06-11, 06:44 PM   #2
cmsmith

Default Re: Falcon 4 Lives on....

Sweetness.

First off, the links to the Youtube videos dont' work. I'm getting messages about malformed URL or something like that. If you go to the website in the first link, scroll down and you will find a YouTube video there. Looks freaking good.

Talking about a game that came out WAY before it's time. Where similar games (such as its predecessor, Falcon 3.0) had scripted missions and such, this game introduced what was referred as a dynamic battlefield (if I recall the term correctly...). Basically, AI was used to create a dynamic, fluid battle experience. In other similar games, when you played a mission basically the exact same things would happen every time you played. Example: you reach a certain point, two migs would be launched against you, each time. In Falcon 4.0, if you played the same thing over then the result and game play could be quite different. In fact, if you aborted the mission or failed, it may not even be possible to go back and replay!! And the F16 Simulation part was awesome. Between the simulation aspect of the game, the AI and the graphics which were way ahead of its time, most machines couldn't come close to playing it in all of its glory. To this day, practically every air combat simulator can learn a LOT from this game.

Unfortunately, the original release of the game had numerious bugs in it. A patch was released. It was to little, to late. Between the fact no computer could come close to playing it in all of its glory and the numerous bugs, future development (which included additional bug fixes and its sequal, Falcon 5) were cancelled. Ultimately, this game caused Microprose, the developer, to go into Bankruptcy.

There are several games which didn't make it when they should've. However, I truly believe this game, in all of computer games ever made and failed, is THE game that falls into the all time "it's a shame" category.

Question: if I get this mod, do I have to have the patch for Falcon 4.0 or does this mod come with it? Also, what problems will I have installing this in Win7 x64? I don't have Falcon 4.0 anymore (I threw it away like a moron...). However, I'm seeing it is for sale on Ebay. Between my personal life and some other games I want to get (such at Battlefield 3), I don't know if I have enough time for Falcon 4.0. However, for a cheap thrill and some nostalgia, this can't be beat!!
cmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote