View Single Post
Old 09-14-11, 02:45 AM   #13
Rakeesh

Default Re: Microsoft BUILD - Windows 8 Unveiling

I have mixed feelings about the metro UI, but it looks like they melded it pretty well with regular keyboard/mouse usage in addition to touch. I still don't think I'll ever leave android on mobile devices though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Microsoft failed in the phone market and now they're throwing their UI onto desktops. Neat trick to get you use to their devices.
Yeah so go back to linux which has failed even worse on the desktop. The intent is that microsoft basically doesn't have to compete with itself by essentially writing 3 different operating systems that might be competing for the same users. So microsoft simply made a decision over a year ago, that they wanted to create one OS that would be suitable for all platforms.

As part of that goal, they wanted one common UI and one common kernel. This is why you see (from the video) that microsoft has drastically reduced the cpu/memory footprint as well as reduced the crap out of the power consumption and made boot times nearly instant. That is a huge win for the desktop/laptop space as well.

You effectively get the best of both worlds regardless of the hardware you are using, which is nice.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote